Friday, June 28, 2013

Mentor Spotlight: Kim Conroy, Career Centre


Name:  Kim Conroy
How long have you been a mentor with DFS Vancouver? Since 2006 (with some time off in 2012).  Started with Saturday group and now with Thursday TDPWG group.
What is the best thing about being a mentor here? Any memorable moments? The best thing about being a mentor is making connections with women that I would never have had the opportunity to meet otherwise.   The diversity of the women I have worked with is amazing to me.  I am humbled by the stories I hear and truly inspired by the strength and courage I see and hear about.  Even though our life experiences may have been different, I believe that the opportunity to connect and acknowledge that we are not alone on this journey can offer insight and support to us all.  I am very grateful for the lessons I have learned about myself through all my experiences with DFS, but mostly that compassion and connection enable us all to develop courage and a stronger sense of belonging.

What do you do with your time when not volunteering at DFS Vancouver?  Right now, I am in my own period of transition, so I spend a lot of time reading and writing.  I am an avid journal writer and have also recently started a blog.  I am also passionate about photography, a relatively new interest, and I have taken a number of workshops in Santa Fe and Vancouver to improve my skills and to connect with other enthusiasts.
Who is your style icon? Don’t really have a style icon, but people who inspire me to live a more authentic life include Brene Brown, Phillip Moffitt and kd lang.
Dream vacation?  An opportunity to learn about a place and the people who live there – and also to make some great photographs!  That is really energizing, whether it is close to home or around the world.
What is your motto? I'll leave you with a quote from Brene Brown: "Empathy is simply listening, holding space, withholding judgement, emotionally connecting and communicating that incredibly healing message 'You're not alone'".

No comments:

Post a Comment