Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Breakfast Club - Round 3

The Breakfast Club, the fourth program introduced by Dress for Success Vancouver, completed its third cycle of sessions last week.


This 12 week program is aimed to provide the participants with an arsenal of practical skills that they can use as they search for employment. With space and coffee donated by Chubb Insurance, the participants discussed their struggles, accomplishments and held each other accountable. (Huge thanks to Emma for your tasty, tasty baking and Kathy for your incredible hospitality!)

Karen McDonald, one of the coordinators of this cycle was committed to providing the clients with tangible skills that they can use in the reality of job search.  Along with Andrea Potter (long time Dress for Success Vancouver volunteer) and Antoinette Ridout, they covered the STAR exercise, Telephone Etiquette and went into great depths with interviewing. .


Here are a few of the Thank You's from the participants!


Thank you for getting me on the right track with my job and helping me build a solid foundation for my new career.  I was going in the wrong direction and the extraordinary advice that you gave me and our group was invaluable!  The gift that you gave us was inspiration combined with practical toughness.  This was the reason so many of us got much better jobs than we would have without your guidance.  Thank you again.
 T.M.
 "Thank you for your energy, life experiences and knowledge.  Verbal examples bring to life what everyone feels everyday but rarely act upon. I know what I have learned through this time at DFS / Breakfast Club, is that people do care and are willing to freely help others succeed.  It is hard to say in a small statement how great this has been.  I have learned, cried and appreciated everyone in the class.  I will remember all the quotes, expressions periodically and when I do I will smile.  I wish for you all to be safe, healthy and believe in yourselves and what you feel.  Keep up the great work and know you all will be lovingly remembered". 

J.S.
 What I will take away from the sessions with you, Karen, Antoinette, and Andrea are your:
  • 'go get it' attitude - you always convey this sense of finding a way to get a job (via networking, by cold calling, by dig-deep researching target companies)
  • belief in us - that we have something very much worth offering the companies/institutions out there  
  • openness to share your insights, own career stories  
  • desire to see us succeed.
          A.A.
 I am truly grateful for all the great ideas and help that you provided me and our group.  When we were stuck in our job search or did not know who to contact at a company - you always came up with new answer or different method that we could try.  The creative solutions that you offered our group helped us tremendously.  I know that you kept asking me, "Do you need any advanced education or training for being a Fashion Stylist?"  Well the answer is yes and thankfully the Bay pays tuition!  Thank you.
T.M.

Huge thanks to Karen, Andrea and Antoinette for your commitment to the clients and their success.  With your help, 3 clients found full time work, 1 part time (to supplement her small business) and 2 contracts.   







No comments:

Post a Comment